Pages

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Lady Gaga - "Borderline Lupus" ?

During a recent interview on Larry King Live on CNN, singer Lady Gaga stated that she tested borderline positive for lupus but that, as of right now, she does not have lupus.

Read further at :-
Lady Gaga Says She's "Borderline Positive for Lupus" – What Does That Mean?

With the mention of borderline lupus, I went "huh"?

Why did I "huh", well as of now there are NO laboratory tests to determine if ones has lupus or not. So, it was a bit odd to me when she mentioned "borderline positive for lupus".

Unless, what she is referring to is her ANA (Anti-Nuclear Antibody) test, which is a common screening used for lupus (but never conclusive).

So, how is lupus diagnosed?
Patient must have had at least FOUR of these 11 manifestations at any time since the onset of the disease.
  1. Malar (butterfly) rash (fixed red rash over the cheeks)
  2. Discoid rash red patches of skin associated with scaling and plugging of the hair follicles
  3. Photosensitivity (rash after exposure to sunlight )
  4. Mucosal ulcers (small sores that occur in mucosal lining of mouth and nose)
  5. Serositis inflammation of the delicate tissues covering internal organs and abdominal pain
  6. Arthritis -very common in lupus, pain in the joints
  7. Renal disorders usually detected by routine blood and urine analysis
  8. Neurological disorder seizures or psychosis
  9. Haematological disorder haemolytic anaemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia
  10. Immunologic disorder tests on LE cells, anti-DNA and anti-SM antibodies
  11. Anti-Nuclear Antibody (ANA blood test)  - when found in the blood and the patient is not taking drugs, it is known to cause a positive test for lupus in most cases, but is not necessarily conclusive
Lupus can get very hard to diagnose and easily ignored by doctors. It is one of the invisible disease until it turns bad, really bad.
(I was diagnosed (?) with 1, 3, 6, 10 & 11 .. then 4,9 came along ... and recently 7!!)

I hope Lady Gaga does not have lupus. I hope her "borderline lupus" would just go away and she lives happily and healthy. Seriously.

I weep whenever I read about someone out there having lupus. I guess, lupus has become very personal to me.

11 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh dear! I like Lady GaGa. I also hope she doesn't have lupus but she's so active and dances a lot and looks ok - so I hope the symptoms don;t manifest themselves in her later life!

I so understand how this is so personal to you. You are living under its shadow - and it's overwhelming and of course it's tiring and just awful.

Hang on in there!!!!

I'm just glad you are here to educate well people like me! about this condition - seriously!

I'm learning so much about lupus just through your blog - when I didn't really know of it before all thanks to you!

I can only imagine what you are going through with all your medications and tests and health scares.

I can only hope that you find a sustainable medical regime to enable you to manage the symptoms and lessen the pain.

GOOD LUCK Bin!!!!! Lady GaGa should be reading your blog!

Take care
x

Hannah and Lucy said...

I didn't realise that there were so many symptoms with lupus - unfortunately you seem to have them all. I can't imagine how much medication you need to take to help you manage your life. I can only hope there is a medical breakthrough which will help you.
Luv Hannah, Lucy and Mum Sue xxx

myQza said...

saya nak cakap dengan Lucky, sila beritahu Pataya, sila update blog ini.

sekian.

terima kasih.

yang benar,
lady gagap!

Katnip Lounge said...

I too am learning a lot about lupus from your blog. I am going to make a point of doing some reading and learn more.

Enjoy your weekend with your crazy cats! I know I am...It's really HOT here now and there's a constant parade of hot cats coming in from the Catio to lay on the cool tile, and then back outside to reheat. Lazy, lucky little felines!

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

I know you must suffer so with Lupus as it is a punishing disease. Yet you smile through and still help all those kitty's. Lady you rock.. Love GJ xx

Marg said...

I too have enjoyed learning some more about Lupus. It sounds horrible and you poor thing must feel terrible all the time. I hope the medicine does something to help you. Now we appreciate all the more all the help you have given Lucky and your other cats. You are just a special lady.
Hope you have a wonderful week end.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Oh my...it's good your blog helps us learn more about lupus...one lady who has a Furrydance kitty was diagnosed a few years ago and I so I know a little bit, but have learned more here...and of course, always check and see how little Lucky is doing!

And thanks effur so much for purring for Brighton and visiting him on our bloggie! Your sweet sentiments mean the world to us!

Jacqueline said...

I am so sorry lupus is such a huge part of your life, Bin; chronic illness is a difficult way to live...You are an inspirational, wonderful woman and I wish the very best for you.

Cory Clark said...

I really had no idea lupus was such a sneaky disease to diagnose - You are truly an inspiration, Bin!

Cory (Nico & JayJay)

meowwmania said...

nice info!

cuma tahu org yg menderita SLE tak boleh terdedah dgn cahaya matahari

p/s: lupie kena pkai sunblock selalu yer ;)

Anonymous said...

It could be chronic cutaneous lupus or sub-acute cutaneos lupus, that can be or not be lupus. It's easier to just tell people that it maybe will evolve to lupus than explain that they may have lupus that didn't manifest OR may have no lupus at all.